Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Welcome to the Tellings RPG Blog (Redux)!

Welcome to the Tellings Role-Playing and Storytelling Game blog! The hope is that the blog will serve as a supplement and comment space for the main Tellings website: http://www.tellings.com. Both the site and the blog have been dormant for some time -- on hiatus as it were -- but plans are now in motion to get things moving. Finally. The wheels are turning. The fates are spinning. And machinations (of a good sort) are underway. The coming calendar year will be a good one for the Tellings "franchise." I hope.

Last year, I ran a 2-credit focus group class on table-top role-playing games featuring Tellings as the system of choice. The class was called "Tabletop Gaming as Storytelling, Storyplaying." Because of the class, I had to update sections of the Tellings website. And more updates are underway, including adding to the sections on magic and prayers and combat. (I am holding off for the time being till both the new edition of the rulebook and a new revision of the website can be launched simultaneously.) Also because of the class, my affection for and desire to play Tellings regularly again was sparked. I decided that I needed to make some time for the game and for working on the system.

Another impetus for working on the game is a material one. My old desktop computer, a PC from four or so years ago, was on its last proverbial leg. So, I backed up everything and migrated to a slightly newer box (donated by my partner), which runs great so far. However, I realized in the transition that much of the layout, graphic design, and publish work that I have done for Tellings (and for my live-action system Archaea) is in danger. Some of the art work (and the Tellings map) are no longer supported (since I did them with the Windows Draw program) and are basically in an irrecoverable file format. (I am going to experiment with getting CorelDRAW and see if it will import the files.) Moreover, all of the layout has been done in PageMaker, which is still being used but is no longer actively supported by Adobe. I would like to upgrade my computer system (most likely moving to a Mac since my laptop is now a Macbook) and get the full Adobe suite of publishing software. That way I can transfer my files to InDesign.

Since I have to work on the book anyway, I might as well revise it, tinker with it, and make sure everything is to my liking. Though the game is "fine" and "works" and is in really good shape, I do think there are some gravelly spots that could use further smoothing. The core mechanics are not going to change -- those are spot on. But, I'd like to revise some skills, Strengths, Weaknesses, spells, and prayer mechanics. I am also still thinking about how to make combat less daunting to the "newbie" player, how to better the game master section, and how to work through power levels.

I will be using the blog to brainstorm and work through ideas. I will also be using the blog for my current gaming table's adventure. And I welcome input, feedback, ideas, platitudes, and material from loyal Tellings players and followers.

More soon.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

The last few days I have been dwelling on Tellings as well. Maybe I will put a small group together for a romp over winter break.

Thanks for the invite.

Skinner said...

I wanna romp!

EYC said...

Thanks for joining, guys! And keep following! I'm going to be adding stuff and soliciting feed back in the next few weeks, months!